Well, for some, controversy….. for some, good news…. However you look at it, it is now a reality!
VB.NET and C# (ASP.NET) and Windows Forms exist now in the Linux world. I’ am not in the “GO” side nor the “REMOVE” side.
I just want to explore what this project is all about and see the good and bad of it. Anyway, here it is.
1. Open your web browser and go to http://monodevelop.com/Download
Click on the stable version, then click the Ubuntu logo and start installing by clicking Install with APT.
2. You also need to install additional packages.
Go to Application -> Accessories -> Terminal
Type: sudo apt-get install mono-vbnc mono-xsp2
3. You can now start developing .NET applications by clicking Applications -> Programming -> MonoDevelop on your GNOME menu
4. Here is the MonoDevelop IDE
5. Here is a sample of an ASP.NET using VB.NET
6. To run it, just hit F5 and your browser will display the output.
“Now proprietary software runs on Linux. Good news for some, and bad news for the Free and Open Source purists”