Installing Apache Geronimo 2.1 on FreeBSD using ports is as easy as 1-2-3.
First, you need a JDK, 1.5 or 1.6. Whether it is Sun, Diablo or OpenJDK or other implementations? Its up to you.
Then you need to set your environment variable JAVA_HOME to point to the installation of your JDK.
Before following the steps below, you should be the root user.
1. Go to the ports directory of apache geronimo
2. Install and compile it
make install clean
3. A configuration screen will prompt you to choose from jetty or tomcat 6
make your choice and press OK
4. Edit rc.conf so that you will start Geronimo automatically on startup
echo "enable=\"YES\"" >> /etc/rc.conf
5. To start Geronimo manually
6. To shutdown Geronimo manually
7. If you run into problems, it seems it just a permission problem. /usr/local/geronimo2 should
be owned by www and group www.
chown -R www:www /usr/local/geronimo2
Enjoy Apache Geronimo!